Working from home has always been a dream of mine.
Now that it’s somewhat a reality, I am learning the many pros and cons of this lifestyle.
It’s amazing how I am happier, and yet more stressed when working from home.
I love being my own boss, but struggle with time management and meeting deadlines at times.
My sister actually said it best the other day.
Not sure if she thought of this quote herself, but it definitely summed it up for me quite accurately.
“When you work from home you live at work”
I am sure everyone has different opinions on this. But, this is what I am learning so far…
Working from Home: Pros & Cons
- Pro: Wear whatever you want all day.
- Con: Being too comfy all day can quickly convert to laziness.
- Pro: Not feeling well? Take a break. No one will punish you.
- Con: Even the slightest little headache can quickly turn into a total veg day of unproductivity if you aren’t strict with yourself. PS. I refuse to admit that unproductivity is not a word.
- Pro: Make your own hours.
- Con: Without discipline your hours can turn into something unmanageable, like staying up all night. Without a schedule, it’s easy to get burnt out or completely off track.
- Pro: Be home with your kids or pets.
- Con: Both can be very distracting. I have no clue how parents do it. My dogs distract me enough!
- Pro: No commuting.
- Con: Your work is always looming… it’s hard to relax knowing it’s in the next room.
- Pro: More “me” time.
- Con: Not quite! Too much me time and your WAH business will fail quickly. If you are a workaholic like me, you run the risk of becoming a creepy shut-in. Once again, it comes down to a healthy balance.
- Pro: No “insert adjective here” coworkers. Less dealing with people.
- Con: Social skills can fade. You may find yourself forgetting how to be appropriate in public.
I am sure I could go on and on with this list.
No matter what I say here, I still want to make this work.
I love being my own boss and responsible for my own actions.
Working from home is not for everyone, but I think it is for me.
Hopefully it will allow me to rescue more animals and be home for them.
Have you ever tried working from home?
What were your biggest pros and cons?